For the most part, our volunteers join us in a counselling role. Volunteers are most often paired with a counsellor on our staff team and assigned to a cabin group of up to six campers. These volunteers have the opportunity to spend six days getting to know a group of amazing kids and helping to make their camp experience an incredibly positive one. Volunteers must be a minimum age of 18 to join us.
Week-Long Volunteer Roles at a Glance:
- Our camp sessions begin on Sunday morning and end on Friday evening.
- We have nine weeks of camp during which volunteers can join us for one or more weeks.
- Volunteers will receive thorough training before the beginning of their chosen camp session.
- Volunteers help us as an extra set of eyes, helping to make sure that all of our campers are safe, happy, and having fun!
- Volunteers play a huge role in building a strong, positive community and helping to create a safe place for our campers to try new things and grow as individuals.
- Our days of camp are long, with volunteers helping to care for campers from wake up (7:00 am) until bedtime (10:00 pm or so) with time off allocated each day.
Why Volunteer at Brigadoon?
It is because of the generosity of our volunteers that we can deliver high-quality programs and focus on meeting the unique needs of each of our campers. During your week with us at Brigadoon, you’ll get the firsthand experience of the magic of camp: from the nerves on arrival day to the tears on departure day, and every campfire, talent show, and evening activity in between. You’ll have the opportunity to build strong relationships with some remarkable kids, and give them the freedom to explore, learn, and have fun in a safe atmosphere where it’s not about their diagnoses, but rather, the potential they have, things they’re interested in, and the positive contribution they can make.
The Volunteer Application Process:
- Interested volunteers can complete our online application beginning April 1st, 2021. Applications close Monday, June 14th, 2021*.
- You will be contacted by a member of our team to set up an interview.
- After interviews, if selected, you will receive a confirmation e-mail, which will confirm which week(s) you’ll be able to join us.
- You’ll receive a Volunteer Manual, which will give you all of the information you’ll need!
- Before your arrival, we’ll need proof of a clear Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Check,) as well as proof of Immunization History, to make sure we’re able to keep our campers safe!
- You will take part in a training session before your role begins!
*After June 14, please click the Contact Us button below to inquire about available opportunities.
Due to Covid-19, our volunteer roles for Summer 2021 look a little bit different. If you are unable to commit to a full week during the summer months, please drop us a line to discuss what other volunteer opportunities might be available. We’re flexible and are happy to try to accommodate the requirements of internships, work terms, co-op placements, etc.
Get in touch with us to find out more!