Based on the current Nova Scotia Public Health Guidelines, our intention is to offer in-person summer camp programs this year. However, we’re still reviewing how the guidelines will affect our volunteer needs.
Please check back in March 2021 for more information.
Summer Volunteers at Brigadoon Village
For the most part, our volunteers join us in a counselling role. Volunteers are most often paired with a counsellor on our staff team and assigned to a cabin group of up to six campers. These volunteers have the opportunity to spend six days getting to know a group of amazing kids and helping to make their camp experience an incredibly positive one.
In cases where volunteers are unable to commit to a full week, we have volunteers join us in a logistics role. These people come to camp on a daily, rather than a weekly basis, or help us in some of the one-time events during which we could use some extra help over the course of the summer.
Volunteers must be a minimum age of 18 to join us.
Week-Long Volunteer roles at a glance:
- Our camp sessions begin on Sunday morning and end on Friday evening.
- We have nine weeks of camp during which volunteers can join us for one or more weeks.
- Volunteers will receive thorough training prior to the beginning of their chosen camp session.
- Volunteers help us as an extra set of eyes, helping to make sure that all of our campers are safe, happy, and having fun!
- Volunteers play a huge role in building a strong, positive community and helping to create a safe place for our campers to try new things and grow as individuals.
- Our days of camp are long, with volunteers helping to care for campers from wake up (7:00 am) until bedtime (10:00 pm or so) with time off allocated each day.
Logistics Volunteer roles at a glance:
- Site maintenance/clean-up
- Mail-outs and marketing help
- Helping with our check-in process on Sundays
- Helping to set up for all-camp programs on Wednesday/Thursdays
- Helping with camper transportation to and from camp
- Paperwork and binder preparation over the course of the week
The possibilities of ways you might be able to get involved extend far beyond this, as well! Get in touch and we can discuss further options.
Why Volunteer at Brigadoon?
It is because of the generosity of our volunteers that we are able to deliver a high-quality program and focus on meeting the unique needs of each of our campers. During your week with us at Brigadoon, you’ll get the firsthand experience of the magic of camp: from the nerves on arrival day to the tears on departure day, and every campfire, talent show, and an evening program in between. You’ll have the opportunity to build strong relationships with some remarkable kids, and give them the freedom to explore, learn, and have fun, in a safe atmosphere where it’s not about their diagnoses, but rather, the potential they have, things they’re interested in, and the positive contribution they can make.
The Volunteer Application Process:
- Interested volunteers complete our online application (coming in March 2021).
- You will be contacted by our Summer Director or Leadership Coordinator to set up an interview.
- If selected, you will receive a confirmation e-mail, which will confirm which week(s) you’ll be able to join us.
- You’ll receive a Volunteer Manual, which will give you all of the information you’ll need!
- Prior to your arrival, we’ll need proof of a clear Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Check,) as well as proof of Immunization History, to make sure we’re able to keep our campers safe!
- You will take part in a full training session before your role begins!
We’re happy to discuss alternative opportunities to volunteer with us! We’re also flexible with our volunteering roles and are happy to try to accommodate the requirements of internships, work terms, co-op placements, etc. Get in touch with us to find out more!