Brigadoon Village Medical Team
Our Medical Team comprises of a variety of medical professionals, including RNs, LPNs, Nurse Practitioners, Doctors, Respiratory Therapists, and Child Life Specialists. They help us to manage our campers’ ongoing conditions, to administer medications, and to provide first aid and treatment for conditions/circumstances which come up during the camp week. Our Medical Team help to keep our campers safe and well-cared-for so that they can focus on what’s really important – having fun!
Medical roles at a glance:
- Our camp sessions begin on Sunday morning and end on Friday evening. We prefer that Medical Staff be able to commit to the entirety of a camp session, though can make exceptions in some cases.
- We have 9 weeks of camp during which Medical Staff can join us for one or more weeks.
- Medical Staff are paid with an honourarium at the end of their week with us.
- Medical Staff will receive a thorough orientation prior to the arrival of campers.
- Our Medical Staff are key to the success of our camper check-in process, assessing each camper, collecting their medications, and ensuring that their conditions are stable enough for them to be safe while at camp.
- Our days of camp are long, with a rotating schedule of who is on duty within the Medical Centre from wake up (7:00 am) until bedtime (10:00 pm).
- During busier medication administration times (usually meals and bedtime,) all of our Medical Staff are on-hand to make sure that process goes smoothly.
- Each Medical Team member will also have an on-call shift during which they respond to any medical issues which come up during the night.
Why get involved with Brigadoon?
Our Medical Staff team are encouraged to get as involved with camp as possible. During all-camp activities, we encourage them to be playing alongside campers, because that’s where the fun of camp is! Medical Team members get to build strong relationships with our extraordinary campers, supporting them through some of the harder parts of our camp experience – when they’re hurt, not feeling so well, etc. More importantly, however, our Medical Staff team have the chance to get to know our campers outside of the circumstances of their diagnoses and get to know what makes them great as individual people, to see them thriving in an environment in which they are accepted completely.
“When I come home from a week at Brigadoon my husband always comments on how happy and rejuvenated I am. I guess it speaks to the saying “ A change can be just as good as a vacation.” Brigadoon is definitely a magical place. It is a place where you can tune out the outside world. It is a place where everyone is encouraging, supportive and loving. It is a place where you can watch children form bonds with others who understand what they are going through and form support systems that will carry them through those difficult years. It is a place where children feel safe to exert their independence and have the courage to try something new. It is a place where you can act silly and have fun and are encouraged to do so. Having the privilege of being part of that experience is the reason I go back to Brigadoon every year.”
Jacqueline vanNieuwenhuizen, RN, BN, MN
Clinical Development Leader
Pediatric Medical Unit
The Application Process:
- Interested applicants should complete our online application.
- You will be contacted by our Summer Director to set up an interview.
- If selected, you will receive a confirmation e-mail, which will confirm which week(s) you’ll be able to join us.
- You’ll receive a Medical Staff Manual, which will give you all of the information you’ll need!
- Prior to your arrival, we’ll need proof of a valid license within the province of Nova Scotia, clear Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Check,) as well as proof of Immunization History, to make sure we’re able to keep our campers safe!
- You will take part in a full training session before your role begins!
Not available for the full week?
We’re happy to discuss alternative opportunities to get involved with us! We’re also flexible with our roles and are happy to try to accommodate the requirements of internships, work terms, co-op placements, etc. Get in touch with us to find out more!
Our Medical Staff applications open as of December 15th and close on June 1st.